How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34076
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you cover a deceased relative's outstanding bills

Customer Question

How do you cover a deceased relative's outstanding bills if you don't have the money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
There is no general legal obligation that you cover the debt of a deceased relative. Any creditor of the deceased relative would have to look to the assets of the deceased for payment. If the estate is insolvent then the creditor is just out of luck.
In other words, you have no personal liability to cover anyone else's debt, unles you agreed to do so in writing.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My stepfather passed motherday, he had gave me a copy of his well giveing me the house I live in and he has left a executor to take care of the rest of his asscess and told him my daughter was to get the house she leaves in too, how do we get the houses in our name and can we put the both houses in both our names.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for following up with me. My condolences for your loss.

You would need to open an estate in probate and submit the will. Assuming the will is admitted, the court would appoint the executor and the executor, after resolving lawful claims, could put the property in your name.