How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37675
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about how far back I can go to see if my

Customer Question

Hi, My name is Nicole. I have a question about how far back I can go to see if my childrens father has paid what he has owed over this year. I got my last child support check from my son and he is refusing to pay the additional that is still owed. Now I kind of screwed myself, because I never enforced getting child support adjusted. He would say nothing has changed and I would believe him. Now I am really starting to question. He was previously a lieutenant colonal in the Air Force and has been flying for United Airlines for the last 2 years. I know that his pay has increased since our original papers were filled in 2004. What can I do?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wyoming
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't. I wasn't sure if that was the only way to find out about his actual earnings were through the years or any pay increases he has had. I had asked initially for several years, but he always said he didn't have time to fill out the paper work
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: They only other thing is that he was paying for 2 kids until 2013 when my oldest graduated from HS. My youngest just graduated a couple of days ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Under Wyoming law, there is no statute of limitations that applies to your attempting to collect for child support arrears that have been ordered by the court but not paid by the other parent. So you can go back to the date the child support order was first issued and seek to collect any and all payment that were due and never paid to you. If you are looking to increase child support because he has a better job, then all you can do is apply for a modification of support and the modification can be made effective by the court as of the date that you file the Motion for Modification. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any additional questions I can assist you with Nicole?Doug

Related Family Law Questions