How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11798
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a family law legal question. My husband was unfaithful

Customer Question

Hello - I had a family law legal question. My husband was unfaithful and had a child with another woman. We are currently in the process of mediation and it is currently not finalized. I was told my husband had been paying this woman $1K per month in child support. I was informed today that she had served him papers in March requesting this amount to be increased to $1,700/month and this was finalized last Friday. My question is what are my legal rights here? I obviously feel his first responsibility is to pay me for his legitimate children (we have two children together). I believe I should hire a lawyer outside of my mediator and take legal action here. Please help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Child support is based on the parent's income and is placed into a statutory formula to determine what he would be paying. If you'll let me know what state you're in, I'll find the calculator where you can figure the amount of support he would be obligated to pay.