How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to find out if there is a court ordered adult

Customer Question

How to find out if there is a court ordered adult guardianship on an individual in the state of West Virginia? And how to request a copy of the order if you are a family member.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,A guardianship proceeding for an adult should be filed in the county where the adult is currently residing. So if you believe that an adult is subject to a conservatorship or guardianship you can check the court records in that county.Many counties have online records that you can use to search for this information, but not all counties have them available in that format (it is also important to note that online searches can be difficult to use or not always return the information you are searching for - so be very careful when relying on them). If the county that you are searching for does not have online records (or if the documents are not available online - only the case entry is), and you cannot easily travel to the courthouse to get a copy, you can pay a process server located in the county to go to the courthouse for you and get a copy of the case file. You will have to pay a small fee for copying costs in addition to the process server's fee (usually this is not very much).I am not sure what your specific circumstances are, but if you are worried that an adult has been conserved improperly, and you cannot find records in the county where you believe that the adult in question resides, you may need to search in other nearby counties - look for counties where property may be located, where the suspected conservator lives (for instance if you believe another family member has improperly conserved your relative, and they live in a specific county, search there).