Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband served 20 years and retired. We've been married

Customer Question
30 years. 18 of his...
My husband served 20 years and retired. We've been married 30 years. 18 of his 20 years of service I have been with him. During those years he's been deployed 5 times and been pcs'd to California for 2 years as geograpical bachelor. How much of his retirement pay am I entitled to?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
5/20/2016
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. This depends on several factors...primarily by state law...what state do you anticipate filing for divorce in?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kansas
ThanksSorry for the delay. I was called away unexpectedly. KS is an "equitable distribution state"...this means that the judge has discretion in dividing the marital estate....they do not have to divide up exactly 50/50. But, generally speaking they try and do so.What you are describing? It sounds like your marriage overlapped most of the service (18 of 20 years)...so I would expect the court to grant you just shy of 50% (18/20 x .5 = 45%)Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if I made my residence in Wisconsin? How long would I have had to live there to file?
WI has a 6 month residence requirement. So you can file after you have lived there 6 months.Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
P. Simmons, Lawyer