How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Fix Your Own Question
Bill Fix
Bill Fix, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 81
Experience:  Attorney at Fix Law, PLLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Bill Fix is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Having an issue with my step father who is intending on

Customer Question

Having an issue with my step father who is intending on leaving my mother. I work on a daily basis and usually have to sleep during the times when She has a doctors appointment. He is still home for now but refuses to drive her to vital doctors appointments now. She is unable to drive because She is on Valium which makes her unable to drive. He tells her to stop taking it and go to the doctors appointment but Her being off of it for any real length of time has and can cause her seizures. I understand He intends on leaving eventually but has made no alternatives for Her to get a ride to vital doctors appointments, She is a very sick woman and unable to do most things at this point in Her life. Is there anything I can do, I don't have the ability to constantly be there and it feels like abuse at this point.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add, She also has bad Scoliosis to the point where She is unable to walk long distances and the nearest bus stop is quite a while away so that isn't a real option. There is another issue to where She is an addict when it comes to alcohol which amplifies the issue. I believe the constant abuse is leading to more alcohol abuse for escapism.
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 1 year ago.
How old is your mother? In many areas, there is free or low-cost transportation available for seniors or low-income individuals to get to medical appointments. If she doesn't qualify for anything like that, or if it's not available where you live, are there any neighbors or friends who would be willing to help out with a ride once in a while? While your step-father appears to be rude and unhelpful, I don't know that it would rise to the level of abuse where any penalty could be assessed against him.There should be some alternative available, whether a ride service, taxi, friends, or you rearranging your schedule.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
57, Sadly too young for senior and they as a whole technically make way too much to be considered low income. Rearranging my schedule is impossible at this point in my life, I won't really be around soon. Sadly her mental state and addiction has pretty much pushed neighbors and friends out of the picture. Taxi is a possibility but she has no actual income to herself so that's only a temporary solution.
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you may be out of reasonable alternatives then. It's sad that your step-father seemingly refuses to lift a finger to help his wife get to medical appointments. Perhaps if they did proceed with a divorce, that might change her income level enough to qualify for some assistance of some sort. Depending on the laws in her state, perhaps she could receive alimony or spousal support which might help address this issue.It may also be worth reaching out to some local community organizations. Some places have volunteer ride services available--check with your county government or some local church groups. Beyond that, I'm afraid any other options may be limited.