How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to get custody of my grandchildren, however, I

Customer Question

I would like to get custody of my grandchildren, however, I only have a 1-bedroom apartment in an independent senior residence, and would need help to find a place that I could afford, and with 3-bedrooms. The children are a 14 year old girl, and a 16 year old boy. I called CPS about 5 years ago, and they did an investigation that entailed them supervising the mother, my daughter, and the children for over a year. My daughter did the things required of her, because of the supervision. She has started drinking and gambling, been physically abusive to the children, and deprived them of food, security. There is a bedbug problem in her home that has been ongoing for over a year. She has "borrowed" money from her 18 year old daughter, who was working part-time at McDonald's, and my granddaughter quit her job after 2 years of this "borrowing". Now my granddaughter is ready to graduate and doesn't have the money to do so.
The children told me of verbal and physical abuse that happens when she comes home from drinking. I told them to call me when it happens again and I will go and get them to spend the night with me. That happened 2 weeks ago.
I have not reported the ongoing abuse to CPS, because the children do not want to be in foster care, but they would come and live with me, if I had a place for them. What I really want is for her to do the right thing as a mother, and keep her children, but I see a bad situation, getting worse. I'm afraid of what will happen, if this continues. I would really welcome options and advice on this matter..............PLEASE HELP!!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I take it the mother will not voluntarily give up the children to you?
You say you need to get a more appropriate housing, so what have you done in that regard, such as contacting local religious groups that may have some local rental places to help low income people in your situation?
What specifically is your question for us about "WHAT I CAN DO" that I can answer for you?