How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I return leased car back to ex husband that I was awarded

Customer Question

Can I return leased car back to ex husband that I was awarded use of in divorce decree. lease is only in his name
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. The short answer is yes. You can return the car to your ex-husband, however you will need to modify the MSA that states that you will be staying with the car. I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The MSA? I spoke with my attorney 3 times about returning the car. She told me I could aND no problem. Now my ex is threatening to take me to court. my attorney is out of town and I'm scared.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.
The marriage settlement agreement. Did it say in there that you would keep the car, but that you would make the payments on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it simply said I would have use of the leased vehicle until end if lease. did not state who was responsible for payments. I made payments even though car lease is only in ex husbands name
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.
If that is the case, you can return the car to him. The only time it would not be in your benefit is if the marriage settlement agreement said you would retain the vehicle and be responsible for its payments.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then how us he telling me I will receive a letter from his attorney (and he was pro see in divorce) informing me I am responsible for last 6 payments.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to switch this to a phone call but website nor cooperating
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.
He is probably mistaken as to who has responsibility for the car. Ultimately, if the lease is under his name and the marriage settlement agreement doesn't say you are responsible for the payments, then he is.

Related Family Law Questions