Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband of 38 years filed . He is a multi-millionaire

Customer Question
My husband of 38 years...
My husband of 38 years filed for divorce. He is a multi-millionaire with real estate property worth billions and a business. Am I entitled to half of assets?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
5/18/2016
Family Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. What state are you located in? What state was the marriage in?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Georgia - Georgia
Ok. Georgia is what is known as an equitable distribution state. That means that initially, the courts will encourage a settlement agreement on the division of assets and debts between the parties. If a settlement cannot be reached, then the following typically occurs: 1. The court will go through a discovery process to classify which property and debt is to be considered marital. 2. The court will assign a monetary value on the marital property and debt. 3. The court will distribute the marital assets between the two parties in an equitable fashion. Equitable does not mean equal, but rather what is deemed by the Superior Court to be fair. Therefore, it is really up to the discretion of the court as to how the assets will be distributed. The distribution is not automatically 50%.
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney