Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I married my one and only husband in 2009. Yesterday his supposed

Customer Question
I married my one and...
I married my one and only husband in 2009. Yesterday his supposed ex-wife from 1973 contacted us and told us that he is still married to her. He called her and asked her for a divorce and she sai "No!" She is living 2 states away from us, shat do we do to get my husband his divorce!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
5/18/2016
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Does husband acknowledge that he may still be married to the other person?.If not has he actually contacted the court where the divorce was supposed to occur to see if it went through or not?..thanksBarrister
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If she is telling the truth, John think he may still be married to her. He was young when had aas married go her and she left him to never return and I gues he assumed she took care of the divorce.
Ok, then in order for your marriage to be legitimate, and not bigamy, then he is going to have to get divorced from her. Whether she agrees or not, he can do so..He will have to file a divorce petition in his local court and then arrange to have the woman served the divorce petition in her own state. The sheriff can help with sending any summons and divorce complaint to the local sheriff in her town so he can serve it on her..Then if she doesn't respond to the action, husband can get a default judgment of divorce..Then you obviously would need to remarry so as to legitimize your marriage...thanksBarrister
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He may still be married to him,
Ok, did you see my reply above about what he needs to do?..thanksBarrister
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, i am going to contact the county seat this week to get the ball rolling!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help!
Ok, great. It should just be a matter of filing the proper documents to get the divorce going and then just waiting for her to not respond and get a default judgment to clear things up..If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanks muchBarrister
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!
Happy to help any time...Have a great evening!Barrister
Barrister, Lawyer