How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36968
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married my one and only husband in 2009. Yesterday his supposed

Customer Question

I married my one and only husband in 2009. Yesterday his supposed ex-wife from 1973 contacted us and told us that he is still married to her. He called her and asked her for a divorce and she sai "No!" She is living 2 states away from us, shat do we do to get my husband his divorce!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Does husband acknowledge that he may still be married to the other person?.If not has he actually contacted the court where the divorce was supposed to occur to see if it went through or not?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If she is telling the truth, John think he may still be married to her. He was young when had aas married go her and she left him to never return and I gues he assumed she took care of the divorce.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then in order for your marriage to be legitimate, and not bigamy, then he is going to have to get divorced from her. Whether she agrees or not, he can do so..He will have to file a divorce petition in his local court and then arrange to have the woman served the divorce petition in her own state. The sheriff can help with sending any summons and divorce complaint to the local sheriff in her town so he can serve it on her..Then if she doesn't respond to the action, husband can get a default judgment of divorce..Then you obviously would need to remarry so as to legitimize your marriage...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He may still be married to him,
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, did you see my reply above about what he needs to do?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, i am going to contact the county seat this week to get the ball rolling!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, great. It should just be a matter of filing the proper documents to get the divorce going and then just waiting for her to not respond and get a default judgment to clear things up..If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanks muchBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help any time...Have a great evening!Barrister