Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My restraining order has recently ran the statute of limitations

Customer Question
of 2 years. The...
My restraining order has recently ran the statute of limitations of 2 years. The order was served on me. Do I have to petition the court to get the order expunged from my record? I am currently trying to get the family violence charge expunged from my record it has been 2 years since the incident. My spouse and I are now divorced. All this happened in the state of Texas.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, I have but only on the expungement of the assault or family violence charge not the restraining order.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: They are in the process of working on expunging the assault family violence charge this happened 2 years ago and it was dismissed due to insufficient evidence in the state of Texas. I do not about the restraining order though. The restraining orders statute of Limitations ended May 7 2016 at 12pm.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: No not this time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
5/17/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. 1) Was the restraining order from a civil court, or part of your criminal matter?2) Are you asking how to seal your civil restraining order? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Ely, Counselor at Law