How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41027
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In California, Father who has legal custody of a teenager,

Customer Question

In California, for a Father who has legal custody of a teenager, yet is not the biological father, how could he release full custody and responsibilities to the biological mother? The father has not legally adopted her, nor is listed as the biological father on birth certificate.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. In California the person with custody can sign an agreed motion and order transferring custody of the child to the mother.The court would have to approve and sign off on such an agreed order.This is filed where custody was granted.The court has to approve legally by order any change in custody and would likely do so if there was agreement here.If it appears this is in the best interests of the child they would sign off on the agreed orders. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Reference The bio father still has potential rights and would have to object, otherwise court likely approves and signs off on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the judge allows for the transfer of custody, would the non biological father be held responsible for child support? The non biological father has supported the teenager all of her life, but also has 4 other biological children living with him with full custody. This teenager is a risk to the family and will continue to be a bad influence on the younger children.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The actual biological father has never been in the picture and has never met their child.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
If parental rights for father are not terminated he may be still liable for child support.And here the court likely allows for transfer of custody because of the need to divide from the other children.I wish you and your family here the best .Thanks again for the chance to help.