How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need advice on how to get custody of my child and only allowing

Customer Question

I need advice on how to get custody of my child and only allowing his father visitation rights. His dad isn't on his birth certificate because he chose to walk out of our son's life for a year. I let him back in in nov 2015. He is very much a manipulator and has a drug and alcohol issue. He keeps threatening me and I have proof. I just need advice on how to handle this and what to do and what not to do. He says I'm unfit but I have never harmed my child and heven has a roof over his head and food to eat. He is trying to intimidate me. How should I proceed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you but I need additional information first. Who has custody now? Is there a formal custody order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have custody. He is not on the birth certificate. He even denied l corbin at first. I filled once before bug he talked me out of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no formal custody orders
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

So what you could do now is file for custody and in your motion you would lay out exactly what type of parenting arrangement you are seeking (including what type of parenting time/visitation you would like him to have). You just need to tell the court that you are "pro se" (filing without an attorney) and they'd be able to provide you with materials that will help you prepare your motion, file it with the court and serve it on the father. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so.

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I wanted to make sure you had all the information you needed and/or if you had any follow up questions.

Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I noticed you have not yet submitted a rating and I was wondering if you need any additional information or need me to clarify anything first. I’d be happy to do so.