How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Fix Your Own Question
Bill Fix
Bill Fix, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 81
Experience:  Attorney at Fix Law, PLLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Bill Fix is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know if I have legal custody and not physical

Customer Question

I would like to know if I have legal custody and not physical can I keep the child because she telling me she's being abused and doesn't want to go back
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 1 year ago.

If there is not a parenting plan or custody order in place, you may not have legal custody. If your child tells you she is being abused, however, you should report it to the Department of Children's Services (or similarly named dept. in your state) so that an investigation can be done. This should help you get legal custody if the other parent is guilty of abuse.

Expert:  Bill Fix replied 1 year ago.

If you're the mother of the child--then your legal custody is assumed. But otherwise, if a formal custody case has not been processed with a judge signing an order, odds are legal custody has not been established. If you're the father, you likely need to take a paternity test and file a petition for custody to establish legal custody.

If child abuse is present, you should take action with the appropriate state agency immediately.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.