FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Me and my girlfriend have lived in my house 4 years.

Customer Question

Me and my girlfriend have lived in my house for almost 4 years. We have a 3 year old daughter together. I have cared and provided for them both. Girlfreind decided to leave and I didn't want to fight in front of our daughter so I let it go.she then decided to take of to Wisconsin with her sister after I told her no. She said I have no elrights to my daughter . is this true is there any way for me to get my daughter without a court order?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. I am sorry to say, but Yes. As a result of you not being married at the time of the birth and/or a court order in place, you would not have any legal right to the child, at this time. The mother can/did have a right to relocate. In your case, paternity would first need to be established and then you would have standing to proceed and file a motion for custody or visitation. I know this is not ideal or what you were hoping to hear but living together for 4 years and having the child, would not automatically give you a say or right, at this time, with the child nor could you force her to move back or stop her from relocating.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!