How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27198
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my girlfriend have lived in my house 4 years.

Customer Question

Me and my girlfriend have lived in my house for almost 4 years. We have a 3 year old daughter together. I have cared and provided for them both. Girlfreind decided to leave and I didn't want to fight in front of our daughter so I let it go.she then decided to take of to Wisconsin with her sister after I told her no. She said I have no elrights to my daughter . is this true is there any way for me to get my daughter without a court order?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. I am sorry to say, but Yes. As a result of you not being married at the time of the birth and/or a court order in place, you would not have any legal right to the child, at this time. The mother can/did have a right to relocate. In your case, paternity would first need to be established and then you would have standing to proceed and file a motion for custody or visitation. I know this is not ideal or what you were hoping to hear but living together for 4 years and having the child, would not automatically give you a say or right, at this time, with the child nor could you force her to move back or stop her from relocating.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions