Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In joint legal custody, if we cannot come to an agreement on

Customer Question
a matter, for example, where...
In joint legal custody, if we cannot come to an agreement on a matter, for example, where our child should go to private school, how is the matter resolved? I will have primary physical custody
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
5/13/2016
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If the order doesn't address it, and usually it will state who has the right to determine the school, then you will have to go back to court. However, if you have the right to determine primary physical custody you would have the right to determine what public school the child had to attend and so you could make the argument that you should also have the right to determine the private school.

You will want to discuss this issue with the lawyer because this is an issue that should have been addressed in the original order.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there isnt an order. we are only separated at this time and are trying to negotiate matters. he wants there to be joint legal custody, but since we rarely agree on matters, i just see this causing issues. is having sole legal custody the only way around this?

No, you can have joint custody and just have this matter addressed by the court's order. Your lawyer will know everything that needs to be addressed and if you have it the order then that prevents any arguing later.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do you mean? he wont agree ahead of time to give me the ultimate decision in where our child goes to school, for example. i dont want to have to go to court every time we dont agree on a matter. id be in court A LOT. can it be in the decree that we have joint but in cases where we cannot come to a decision, that i as the primary custodian makes the ultimate decision?

You can have anything in the order that the judge says. As I said, your lawyer should know all of the spots where there are likely to be problems in the future and then have the court issue orders on those areas.

Your situation is the same as everyone else's in a divorce, you want to have specific orders on everything.

You can have the judge order that one party makes the decisions as well, that was the way it used to be done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unfortunately, i dont see my soon to be ex spouse agreeing to this....ESPECIALLY if money is involved.

I understand. The issue then becomes one of fighting in court to get what you want, which is going to cost him to fight. Unfortunately, that's the only choice if you can't agree.

Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

JACUSTOMER-wavcp77q - please do not continue to post questions. You clearly do not value this community and request that you take your questions elsewhere.

I do value the community, but unfortunately some of the attorneys aren't knowledgeable and try to pass off a poor response

That completely inaccurate. You give negative ratings as a matter of habit and I am going to request that if you are going to ever ask another question that you rate honestly and fairly. Our time as experts is valuable and we will not waste another moment answering the question of someone who is disinterested in cooperating in a professional and courteous manner. We are customers on this site as well, we are not employed by Just Answer so your negative ratings hurt our ability to help people who actually want the help. Please refrain from posting questions here ever again.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer