How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a mediated agreement that was enter back in 2014 in

Customer Question

I have a mediated agreement that was enter back in 2014 in Broward County Florida. Never been married we have 2 kids. The agreement has not been working for the best interest of the child. How can I go about setting it as. I wanted to cancelled everything including any child support for the children.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes in the past due to them saying I cannot cancel the agree. But in doing my own research I see it can be done.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: They said I can modify but I cannot cancel it. I am stuck with it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: In regards ***** ***** agreement. We had a home together. So in the agreement it was awarded to me. He was not paying it so I took over. Also he paid me a small lump sum for back child support. That's about it. In the agreement he has the kids 3 over nights and me 4 over nights
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would have to file a motion to modify the agreement and in that motion you would have to present some evidence how there has been a significant change in circumstances such that the current agreement is no longer in the best interests of the children and the other parent refuses to sit down to negotiate an amendment of the agreement to modify it in the best interests of the children.
They are right you cannot cancel the agreement technically, but in a sense modifying the agreement can cancel provisions that you can prove are not working for the child.