How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1423
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has just announced that he wants to move his adult

Customer Question

My husband has just announced that he wants to move his adult son (20) into our home. Despite being uncomfortable to live around, spiteful, nasty, and generally not nice to me (on the days that he even acknowledges that I'm in the room) there's also the issue of underaged drinking, marijuana, and women/friends. I have told my husband that I do not approve of this arrangement. The kid makes me uncomfortable, I work from home, and my husband works on the road 75%+ of the time. If he moves the kid in when I'm not home or even when I am, can he do this without my consent? We are both on the title to the home and the mortgage.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. Oh, at the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
This is a bad situation no matter how you look at it and I hope it's not going to strain your marriage. Yes, your husband can invite whomever he wants in as a guest but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. You will have the police there anyway because of the marijuana use, underaged drinking, etc. Plus, I understand about working from home. I'm a NY atty but living in ME, right next door to you, and I'm happy my dogs are home with me. My stepson is easy so I'd have no problem. If my own son were to come here, that would be terrible because he's also nasty and spiteful. Who needs it? You don't! You won't be able to work.Talk to your husband and maybe you can reason with him. If you can afford to help the stepson out with an apartment, that's preferable. Maybe you can offer to pay for the apartment for 6 mos and then after that he's on his own, but this would be to get him started until he can get a good job and pay for it himself. It's just one alternative but it beats having him come live there!I would suggest you talk to your husband or the next thing you'll have is a marital issue that will require lawyers and you don't want that, I'm sure. I understand. Your husband is dumping his kid in your lap, in your home, where you work and that's not fair. Plus, the kid is not pleasant and does illegal things. Tell your hubby that the kid is going to attract the police because of his behavior, that you cannot enable that, that your husband andyou will both get in trouble for allowing this to happen in your home (the pot, the underage drinking). I hope your husband can listen to reason. Nobody needs a stepkid or kid who is nasty and spiteful (my own son is like that) or someone who breaks the law in your own home! That's just not right. I don't know why your husband is not putting his foot down and saying no but that's what he should do. Your husband isn't even home most of the time. That is making you an enabler and a "babysitter" of someone who needs to be on his own.Hopefully you can appeal to your husband and get the kid to go somewhere else. Yes, your husband has the right to do this, as do you if you wanted to bring someone into your home, but that doesn't mean it's good for a marriage. It's terrible for a marriage and please explain to your husband why this is bad for both of you, including the illegalities plus the unfairness of making you stuck with the kid while the husband is away. That is unfair, and I know it's difficult not to be resentful but I could understand it.See if there is a better alternative. I hope you don't need to see a lawyer about this but tell your husband you just can't take in anyone with these legal issues because the police will be at your place and you don't need that or want that. I hope you can avoid having to see an attorney about this. Did I answer your question? I can answer additional questions based on this one if you want.I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Best of luck to you! Please accept my answer, rate my answer and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred).