How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex was court ordered to pay child support when we divorced

Customer Question

My ex was court ordered to pay child support when we divorced in June of 2012. His last payment was in October of 2013. He moved away and has made no attempt at communicating with my daughter since. How could I go about getting him for the child support he has missed? Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer, My name is ***** ***** I am an Attorney. I will be glad to Answer your question and the only thing I ask of you is that you leave a positive rating. This will not cost you anything additional, and it is the only way that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. Q. Do you have any idea to which state your ex might have gone ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He still lives in Georgia. I have an idea where he might be. People who know him have said he's in Tignall, Ga.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am still here, I have been at the computer answering customer's questions for several hours and I began to see double, so I had to get up and put some cold compresses on my eyes. You asked the following questions, "How could I go about getting him for the child support he has missed? Is there anything I can do?" ​ ANSWER - Send a letter to the post office where he used to live and it should be along the following lines​ (Call them first and ask if they charge a fee) - It sounds strange, but certain post offices charge $5.00 while some do not charge anything TO: ***** Address of Post Office that delivered mail to his last known address Re: Forwarding address of ________ (put his name in the blank space) Dear Postmaster : Please furnish me with the forwarding address of the following individual - Type his name here His last known address was the following - (Insert his last known address here) I am enclosing a stamped, self-addressed envelope for your convenience and a check in the amount of $____ to cover your fee. Kindly send me the new address of the above-named individual in the enclosed, stamped, self-addressed envelope which I have enclosed for your convenience. If you need further information, please feel free to call me at ( ) ___________ (Insert your area code and 'phone number). Thank you, Sign and type your name here. Once you have his forwarding address, go to the Family Court that has been handling your child support case. Give them his new address and ask for their form for a Petition for Contempt. Fill it in, give it to the Court Clerk and ask that the Petition for Contempt be given a hearing date and ask them to have the Sheriff serve your child's father at the address that the post office gave you. If he fails to appear on the hearing date set for the Petition for Contempt, the Judge will issue a Bench Warrant for his arrest. If he does, in fact, show up, tell the Judge how he disappeared without leaving any forwarding address and the amount of child support he owes in arrears. Ask the Judge to Order him to pay at least half of the amount he owes you in arrears and then pay the balance a little each month along with the amount he is supposed to normally pay you. You might not even have to ask the Judge to Order this because this is what Judges normally do when there is a large amount of arrears in child support. But you should ask the Judge to enter an Order for a Wage Attachment. The Court then serves his employer with the Attachment Order and if the employer does not comply with the Court Order, he too, can be incarcerated. If your child's father is self-employed, apprise the Judge of this fact and he will make special arrangements to make sure that he complies with the Court Order. I would not be surprised if the Judge gave him a couple of months in jail for his non-payment, just so that he will take his child support obligations more seriously in the future. This should resolve the problem of his failure to pay child support and bring him up to date with all the payments he missed. It will take a couple of months, but the Court will see to it that he pays you all amounts that are past due. ​Please be kind enough to leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. It will not cost you anything additional, but it is the only way that JustAnswer will give me credit. for assisting you, Bonus is always appreciated, Kind regards, ANDREA