How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7404
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i be exempt from wage garnishment in the state of indiana JA:

Customer Question

how can i be exempt from wage garnishment in the state of indiana
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: i have a wage garnishment hearing tomorrow, and I have been reading that if you are the head of household and provide more than 50 percent of the income, and support for you children then it is possible.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: um i am a single parent with two kids?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Indiana does not provide a head of household exemption, the same general withholding limits apply to all debtors in the state. Indiana follows federal law. As of 2014, your employer can withhold no more than the lesser of 25 percent of your disposable wages or the amount by which your disposable earnings are greater than 30 times the federal minimum hourly wage.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to enter a rating by clicking on one of the five boxes at the top of this reply. We are not employees of Just Answer, and only receive credit for assisting you when the rating is positive.