Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How to have a mother declared unfit and remove custody of

Customer Question

How to have a mother declared unfit and remove custody of child
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. One files the Petition to Declare Minor Free from Parental Custody and Control. See HERE. This would begin the process. The Petitioner would have to prove by clear evidence that the mother did one or more of the following: (1) The child has been left without provision for the child's identification by the child's parent or parents. (2) The child has been left by both parents or the sole parent in the care and custody of another person for a period of six months without any provision for the child's support, or without communication from the parent or parents, with the intent on the part of the parent or parents to abandon the child. (3) One parent has left the child in the care and custody of the other parent for a period of one year without any provision for the child's support, or without communication from the parent, with the intent on the part of the parent to abandon the child. (b) The failure to provide identification, failure to provide support, or failure to communicate is presumptive evidence of the intent to abandon. If the parent or parents have made only token efforts to support or communicate with the child, the court may declare the child abandoned by the parent or parents. In the event that a guardian has been appointed for the child, the court may still declare the child abandoned if the parent or parents have failed to communicate with or support the child within the meaning of this section. (c) If the child has been left without provision for the child's identification and the whereabouts of the parents are unknown, a petition may be filed after the 120th day following the discovery of the child and citation by publication may be commenced. The petition may not be heard until after the 180th day following the discovery of the child. (d) If the parent has agreed for the child to be in the physical custody of another person or persons for adoption and has not signed an adoption placement agreement pursuant to Section 8801.3, a consent to adoption pursuant to Section 8814, or a relinquishment to a licensed adoption agency pursuant to Section 8700, evidence of the adoptive placement shall not in itself preclude the court from finding an intent on the part of that parent to abandon the child. If the parent has placed the child for adoption pursuant to Section 8801.3, consented to adoption pursuant to Section 8814, or relinquished the child to a licensed adoption agency pursuant to Section 8700, and has then either revoked the consent or rescinded the relinquishment, but has not taken reasonable action to obtain custody of the child, evidence of the adoptive placement shall not in itself preclude the court from finding an intent on the part of that parent to abandon the child. (e) Notwithstanding subdivisions (a), (b), (c), and (d), if the parent of an Indian child has transferred physical care, custody and control of the child to an Indian custodian, that action shall not be deemed to constitute an abandonment of the child, unless the parent manifests the intent to abandon the child by either of the following: (1) Failing to resume physical care, custody, and control of the child upon the request of the Indian custodian provided that if the Indian custodian is unable to make a request because the parent has failed to keep the Indian custodian apprised of his or her whereabouts and the Indian custodian has made reasonable efforts to determine the whereabouts of the parent without success, there may be evidence of intent to abandon. (2) Failing to substantially comply with any obligations assumed by the parent in his or her agreement with the Indian custodian despite the Indian custodian's objection to the noncompliance. Then, if the court agrees, the mother's rights may be terminated. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!