How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30149
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going through a civil case in Washington DC regarding

Customer Question

I am going through a civil case in Washington DC regarding properties that I own the case was dismissed with prejudice and they filed a motion and then motion was denied
Now they submitted an appeal in the court of appeals which can take about a year what can I file to ask a judge to dismiss this appeal they have no new facts and I don't think the previous judge made any mistakes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened. There unfortunately isn't a way to stop someone from appealing when they lose a case. If the judge didn't make any mistakes, that's the basis for the brief that you'll submit to the court - but that IS the appeal. It's not a reason for the court to dismiss the case. They still need to review the full record to determine if mistakes were made and, if so, if they're bad enough to overturn the ruling (there are mistakes in almost every case, but many mistakes are harmless errors). The other party can dismiss the appeal, but that usually requires settling. Consider whether there is anything you'd be willing to give them to make the case go away now instead of continuing to drag on (and it's OK if there isn't). The Notice of Appeal does not automatically stop the district court's judgment from going into effect. They have to file a Motion to Stay if they want to do that, and you can object to that motion by establishing that they're not likely to win the appeal. Unless or until they file that (and it's granted), you can proceed as if you won the case and they had not appealed. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Did you need any more help with this?