How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

JA: . How can we help? Customer: How do I found out

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: How do I found out if I'm divorced or a mistake happened. I filed but I don't want to be divorced. I wanted to file and then work it out. The lawyer pushed it
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: What family lawyer
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Call the clerk of the court and ask what the last entries on the docket show and what the status of the case is. If you're not divorced, the case should still be pending. If you're divorced, they'll be able to send you a copy of the divorce decree. The clerk should also be able to tell you if there are any hearings coming up, and if so, for what. That can help you figure out what's happened. You could also try calling your lawyer to ask what is happening in the case and to send you a copy of any documents you need to see. Anything that's been filed should also be mailed to you. Lawyers have an ethical obligation to keep their clients reasonably informed about the status of their cases - he should have told you if he requested a divorce judgment, and he should have told you if it's happened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am divorced. I want to find a mistake so the divorce didn't work. How?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Go to the courthouse and get copies of all the documents that were filed, plus the judge's decision. They will probably charge a nominal fee for making the copies. You may be allowed to stand there and read the entire file, though. Ask the clerk. What state are you in? How long has it been since the divorce was entered?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Did your spouse ask for or agree to the divorce?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me any more about your situation? I'm happy to answer all of your questions here, but I don't feel that it's beneficial to call someone with as little information as you've provided - you could spend the entire 15 minutes giving me backstory instead of typing it, and then you're not really getting anything for your money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want the divorce. I'm sorry I filed. The lawyer convinced me too. I want to find s mistake. It's hurts.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm very sorry that this happened. It sounds like what you need is to talk to a local attorney who can review the case file for you. There isn't any sort of list of all-purpose mistakes that I can give you to always undo a divorce. What you're asking for is extremely fact-specific. If you could tell me what mistake was made during the divorce, I might be able to tell you whether it could be fixed. But what you're doing is the equivalent of asking me to find a typo in a book without reading it. Start by talking to your lawyer. Explain that you didn't want the divorce and see if there is anything he can do to make things right. A divorce can always be undone through a remarriage. You can do that if your spouse will consent. But I'm sorry to say, if your spouse decided they wanted the divorce, you're going to remain divorced. It may be possible to revisit the terms of the decree if you can find an error, but the divorce itself usually stands as long as either spouse wants it.
Expert:  Randy St Onge replied 1 year ago.
Just need a Stipulated Motion to Dismiss.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Did you still have questions about this? The suggestion that you need a stipulated motion to dismiss only works if your spouse didn't want to be divorced either, and based on everything we talked about, I do not believe that to be the case. Therefore, that's not the best solution to your problem. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.