Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can you sue a girl in new jersey in my marriage

Customer Question
Can you sue a girl...
Can you sue a girl in new jersey for intering in my marriage and her contacting my husband several times a day
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Causing me to be told he wants a divorce
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: My husband has changed this girl is in his life.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
5/9/2016
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.New Jersey does not have an Alienation of Affection Statute, but, you can sue the offending spouse for divorce based on grounds, such as adultery.The courts have held that "adultery exists when one spouse rejects the other by entering into a personal intimate relationship with any other person, irrespective of the specific sexual acts performed; the rejection of the spouse coupled with out-of-marriage intimacy constitutes adultery." New Jersey Court Rule 5:4-2 requires that the plaintiff in an adultery divorce case, state the name of the person with whom the offending conduct was committed. This person is known as the corespondent. If the name is ***** ***** the person who files must give as much information as possible tending to describe the adulterer. So far as suing the third party, there is always the common law torts of:intentional interference with a contractual relationship (since the marriage relationship is a contract and the paramour is intentionally interfering...), intentional infliction of emotional distress, defamation, and other personal injury causes of actions which may fit your factual situation.If the paramour is wealthy, I am sure you could find a lawyer would pursue this, if they are not, then expect a hefty retainer fee to file such a a suit.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Loren, Lawyer