How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19140
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a basic question the state of florida can

Customer Question

i have a basic question the state of florida can a mother with hold the information and whereabouts of a child without the fathers consent or knowledge? Because i havent seen or heard from my son for over 40 days and ive been threatened with child support and i havent received any letter in the mail stating so. I have went to the court to find out if i was listed to paychild support or not and the lady there said i wasnt. Now i dont mind paying for child support but is there a way i can madatorily (if thats a word) see my son? i work all week and my only free days are the week ends so im curious on how time sharing works or the laws around it. Mind you there has NEVER been a history of domestic violence or abuse between the two of us. We moved in together briefly till she got on her feet and acquired a job, apartment, etc one disagreement later she calls someone to come get her and my son and i havent seen nor heard from them since. Last time i seen my child was on march 25th. its now may 9th..what are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Have you formally established paternity of the child? That is, is your name on the Birth Certificate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
of course ive been there since day one i have never been an absentee father
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so what are my options?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
because honestly the only thing i want to do is see my son. i dont want to fight for custody im not one to just take him from his mother..clearly thats not the case on her end seeing how she can so easily keep him from me. I need to know what can i do to see him without her denying me or my family.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. You need to file Petition for Joint Legal Custody and Visitation Rights. If your Petition is granted, then the mother MUST disclose all information about the child to you and let you see the child. If the mother refuses to let you see the child, you can file contempt action against her. You can download the forms for filing for joint legal custody and contempt action with the Court. Click on the link below for the forms and instructions: Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.