How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11814
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wasn't allowed due process in a florida court my ex filed

Customer Question

I wasn't allowed due process in a florida court my ex filed for custody without me ever even knowing when the hearing was or even about the out come I brought it to the judges attention and he told me it didn't matter now.. this has happened twice with the same judge..
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues, contract law, and other types of law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. Oh, keep in mind that at the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Thanks! I'm so sorry you've been through all of this. This is awful. You're really going to need an attorney to help you with this. You have to fight this and you're going to have to show that you did not receive notice, so that due process was denied. Then you will want to show that you have a good case to get custody too. If this wasn't too long ago and the kids haven't been away from you that long, it will be easier for you to get them back. It's not going to be an easy process because they're both in different places, and each case has to be done separately because there are two fathers involved here. If you cannot afford an attorney, find a LegalAid or legal services near you in your state. You can Google that or I can look that up for you. If you already have an attorney then you need to use the attorney (if you like that attorney). If you don't like the attorney, then you need to fire that attorney and get another one.It's terrible how the injustices are played out every day in the US, and they're not getting any better. I hear about stuff like this all the time.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
You would have a good case against your exes because they have a history of domestic violence and other charges against them. They also kidnapped your kids from what you're saying here. You have a lot of things going on here, too much to handle by yourself, so you really need to discuss this with a family lawyer. If you need the names of lawyers in your area, let me know the nearest big town or city and I can provide you with a list of attorneys. I can't recommend anyone as we're not allowed to do that, but I can certainly give you a list and you can pick someone from the list. I will tell you how to pick from that list and what to look out for. Since you've already been in front of this judge, you need to do so with an attorney. I don't know if you had one before but if you did, it may be time to get a new one! There are too many problems with your cases, so if you did have a lawyer, it doesn't sound like your lawyer helped you at all. If you did this by yourself, the exes were able to do an end run around you, which is a denial of due process, kidnapping in one or both instances, etc. There are so many issues with these cases that you can't possibly win this by yourself.If you need more information, or information about lawyers, please let me know.I'm in EST so it's 2:16 am here and I'll sign off right away but will look to see if you left an answer for me or asked any questions. I will ask you to please rate me when we're done. I want to help you, which you need after all this legal maneuvering went on without your knowledge. I'll check in during the morning to see if there is more I can do to answer your question.

Related Family Law Questions