Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

How do I go about stopping child support deduction from my

Customer Question

How do I go about stopping child support deduction from my military retirement, it was suppose to stop when my daughter turn 18 of years old. And I have no contact with her since she was Seven. Now is almost 22 years old and they are still taking support out of retirement
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What happened when you filed your petition to terminate support to the Court? That is the means of getting the court order to stop the deduction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never got a repsone from them so that is why I am asking this question
Thank you for your reply.
You need to check with the clerk of court to determine the status of your motion to terminate support, since you mailed it in, we cannot check that for you. The proper means of stopping support, which generally terminates by Texas law at 18, is filing the motion to terminate support and asking the court for an order, which you would then submit to your retirement system to stop the garnishment. However, without knowing what happened to what you filed there is no way to know the status. If they did not receive it or it was not filed properly, you have to file it again and serve the other party as well as support enforcement if they are the ones garnishing your benefits.