How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37854
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a sister in the Buffalo NY area who has advanced Alzheimer

Customer Question

I have a sister in the Buffalo NY area who has advanced Alzheimer as diagnosed by a neurologist and evaluator. My brother-in-law is not moving toward elder care. He has been dragging his feet on this issue for several years. I believe he does not want to spent money for her care. DO I AS A LOVING BROTHER HAVE ANY LEGAL RECOURSE?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Do you have any evidence that she is being neglected or improperly cared for?.Have you contacted any local agencies to have them check on her?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know legal options that might be available to me in NYS before getting into accusations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please text me. Thank you, Sam
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you suspect that she might be in danger or being neglected, you can contact the local police dept and request a "wellness check" and they can go out and ask to see and speak with her. The other option is to contact the NY Office of Child and Family Services, Adult Protective Services (APS) and express your concerns about her wellbeing. They can also go out for an in home visit to assess and evaluate her status. If it appears that she is being neglected, they can immediately file a petition in court to take her into protective custody so she can receive adequate care..If she is being neglected, and APS takes action then you can file a formal petition to be appointed her legal guardian through the local surrogate court. That would basically put you in charge of her care and finances so you could monitor her to make sure she was being cared for....thanksBarrister