How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have schizophrenia and take medication is there anything

Customer Question

I have schizophrenia and take medication for it is there anything information can do about someone who keeps messing with mentally knowing I have schizophrenia especially after a year or more of doing because this could lead to suicide on my behalf because that won't quit messing with me mentally knowing I have problems mentally
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been a year and she has emotionally abused me and I hate to sound like a punk but not much I can do with schizophrenia she's caused so much damage and she already owes money for walking out on the lease and now I'm scared of myself hate to be alone with myself cuz I'm scarecrow I'll take my life and just how far she has gone with the mental games and like she knows I have a mental illness along with the seizures it's caused problems there has to be some type of law to cover messing with some one with a mental illness she no better than a murderer if I took my life and I feel like I will
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Emotional abuse is abuse. It's real and hurtful, and not wanting to be abused does not make you a "punk" at all. No one deserves to be abused. There's a civil cause of action called "intentional infliction of emotional distress," which occurs when a person engages in an extreme or outrageous pattern of behavior that serves no legitimate purpose and is done only to produce emotional distress in the target. Intentionally messing with someone that you know to have a mental illness is probably going to be considered "extreme or outrageous." Trying to cause someone to commit suicide is absolutely extreme and outrageous. If you don't have medical or therapy bills that you can directly trace to her behavior, you can seek up to $10,000 in punitive damages in Small Claims Court. The courts have forms you can use to open a case, and you do not need a lawyer. It's designed to be user-friendly. If you do have medical bills, add them up to see how much the total is, then decide if $10,000 sounds like enough. If it doesn't, a local attorney may be able to help you. You may also be able to file stalking charges. Stalking occurs when a person engages of a course of conduct that is intended to put a person in reasonable fear of their safety or damage to personal property, or is intended to make you "feel harassed, annoyed, alarmed, abused, tormented, embarrassed, or offended." Tex. Pen. Code, Section 42.072. That's a misdemeanor, and you can file a police report. I would also strongly encourage you to seek help. You can call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1(###) ###-####at any time. Meanwhile, consider ways to reduce contact with this person in the future, if possible. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.