How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was trying to start child abandonment warrent with my childs

Customer Question

i was trying to start child abandonment warrent with my childs father
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no mam i havent
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: ok well my child father havent seen his son in a couple months everytime his son calls him he never answer the phone he never want to come get him or spend time with him his son always asking about him but he doesnt care nd he also doesnt come see him period after i gave him chances after chances and he never done nothing for him i do everythin with no help
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: like wat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.
In what state or country are you? Is there a court order for custody and visitation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  S. Kincaid replied 1 year ago.
To answer your question I need to know where you are located.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
atlanta georgia
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.
The process requires you to go to the Magistrate of the county in which you reside with child to swear out a warrant for abandonment. You will need to state that the father has had no contact, provided no support of any kind for whatever the applicable period of time has been. Once the warrant is sworn out father will be served at a hearing will be held before the Magistrate as to whether or not probable cause exists to issue a warrant for his arrest. You should be present for such hearing and be prepared to testify as to the lack of contact and or financial support.
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this problem but I think it is wise to pursue action.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks alot so what if i tell them i dont want him around my child anymore
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.
That is something a little different and involves custody rather than support. You would need to have him terminate his parental rights. The best way to have intimated as parents is to have some sort of Leverage by either owing child support order an arrest warrant that he will want to resolved in exchange for him agreeing to terminate rights
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that was a typo in the last message. What I was trying to say is you need Leverage in order to get him to terminate his parental rights. The best way to get Leverage is by maintaining a support action or proceeding with the abandonment warrant. That way you have a bargaining chip to give him if he will terminate his parental rights.