How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Kincaid Your Own Question
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2512
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
S. Kincaid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am heading divorce or legal separation. I am 73 years

This answer was rated:

I am heading for a divorce or legal separation. I am 73 years old and unable to get a job. How can I get some support from my husband up front so I can leave and live elsewhere while this process goes on. Does this require filing for divorce immediately?

To get spousal support, you would have to file for divorce or legal separation. If you wish to ultimately be divorced, then you should not bother with legal separation. If you may want to maintain the marriage for any reason, including maintaining health insurance, then you would be better off filing for legal separation. Within the case, you would ask for temporary orders allowing for relocation money and spousal support. You can also ask for use of various community property assets, such as a vehicle or furniture.

This page helps you figure out how to file for divorce and separation and directs you to the forms you will need. Do you have any other questions?

S. Kincaid and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you