How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117368
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a minor child that was born in the state of Arizona,

Customer Question

HI, I have a minor child that was born in the state of Arizona, USA i have now remarried and i want my child to take my current husbands last name. I already have the adoption paper from Mexico which states that my current husband has adopted him. I don't live in Arizona and i need assistant in apply for a name change for my child as i am not in the USA nor can come. My child in only 13 years old. Please help in my options if i can hire someone to take care of this matter for me? thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have proof of adoption in Mexico and it was done with proper notice to the other parent, then the US courts will recognize that adoption and you would have to get a local attorney to file what is called a "petition to recognize foreign judgment in the court in AZ. Unfortunately, our site rules forbid anyone from this site from filing or representing you and you would need a local family attorney in AZ and you can get one at the same sites used by other attorneys, or to represent you and you would not need to appear.