How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to know more about shared custody. how it

Customer Question

hello i wanted to know more about shared custody. how it works. like school that we live 3 blocks away but he is ohio side and i am pa side. insurance ?? i slip the insurance now thou welfare program.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
When 2 parents live a few blocks from each other, than true shared custody is possible, presuming that the parents are able to communicate amicably (frequent contact will generally have the courts require the parties to be amicable to avoid confrontation). The court will try and implement a schedule that works out best for the children and the parents; the children may alternate days at each parent's house; or they may alternate weeks. The fact that the state line is between the residences does not matter; what matters is the proximity because true shared custody requires physical proximity. Generally insurance premiums are either assigned to one parent, or split equally. If the parents qualify for subsidies, then those will continue. The court will designate a primary residence for the children for purposes of school enrollment, insurance, etc. They will also typically allow the parents to alternate on claiming the child for tax purposes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like primary were he lives with me most of time. the days i work he can go to his dads but at least be home by 8p but sometimes i work until 10:30
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Either the parties can stipulate (agree) to that and ask the court to make it a court order; or if the other parent refuses, one can petition the court and propose that arrangement. If the child is young, the court will typically require that the parent be home when the child is present.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like to talk to a lawyer about my concerns and help me understand what i need to put
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
u if i can
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I am a different expert on Just Answer. I'd be happy to answeryour questions by phone if that's what you would prefer. If you would like to reach me directly you can request a phone call by putting FOR OLIVIA in the first line of your request and I'll be happy to work with you.