How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27214
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is a compensation settlement community property in a divor

Customer Question

is a compensation settlement community property in a divorce
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Compensation a party received for personal injuries during the marriage not related to loss of wages or earning capacity during the marriage, would be considered separate property and something which the other party may not be entitled to. A lot depends on the facts of the case, the situation and if the settlement money was commingled or kept separate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not satisfied still unclear does not explain what commingled means or how comp cases are broken down
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem and I am happy to respond. Allow me a moment.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
When I say commingled, it would refer to a situation where you were awarded a check for X amount of dollars but then deposited the check in a joint bank account and used it for your expenses with your spouse. The funds would be mixed together and used for things which benefited both of you. However, if you were to deposit the check in a separate account, you could show the money was never touched or used to benefit both parties. As far as the breakdown, your attorney would be entitled to a percentage of what was recovered and settled and then rest paid to you, after fees and costs are covered.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.