How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are married but are split up and haven't started divorce

Customer Question

If you are married but are split up and haven't started divorce yet can either parent take their child anywhere with them without any legal problems ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Until there is a court order for custody, either parent has equal access to the child. Both parents would have to consent to get the child a passport, but travel within the United States is generally permitted. Note that travel isn't the same as moving. If one parent moved to another state with the child, the other parent could seek an order requiring that the child be returned.