How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a single mom and I want to take my son to bermuda for

Customer Question

I am a single mom and I want to take my son to bermuda for 7 days on a cruise. I have no formal custody agreement with my son's father, he refuses to sign any sort of paperwork so that i can take him. Am I allowed to take him with out his father's permission? especically considering i have a departure and return date? I live in maine
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I've been trying literally for months but I can't afford it. no one will even talk to me without $1,200 or more down
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have a court date for PRR on May 12th. I have my son 4 days a week. i have a stable job and car and am a part time student while i finish up my degree. I was the only one paying for day care from january 2013- november 2015 and he has never given me child support. I have had to call the cops and have him reoved from my house twice, and he bounced around a lot in the first year (2014) he ,moved 8 times.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Your son may cruise to Bermuda and back only of he has either a US Passport or a US Passport Card. Both of these documents require that the other parent sign allowing you to apply for the Passport document. In addition, as you will be traveling with your son and not the other parent, you must also have a Permission to Travel letter, signed by the other parent or you will not be allowed to board the cruise ship in the US. The fact that you have already made the plans will not work to allow you out of the country with your child without the permission of the other parent. If you can somehow convince the other parent to allow the travel, here is a form you can use for the consent to travel: The only way that you may legally apply for a passport and take your child out of the country without the permission of the other parent is for you to apply to the court and be granted Sole custody of your child. When you have a court order of sole custody, then you may apply for a passport for your child on your own and take him out of the country without permission of the other parent. I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug

Related Family Law Questions