How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38879
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I already have a legal agreement that

Customer Question

Hello, my husband and I already have a legal agreement that was completed in february by a mediator. I need a uncontested divorce (domestic relations law 170G) to finalize the process. I dont need to fill out the divorce papers, but need to submit my agreement. I need advice as to what the best route is if i already have the agreement completed. Please let me know. thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Have you already filed and served a summons on your spouse (or, vise versa)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we completed the agreement in february and signed everything through our mediator. but now we need to actually file the divorce, but our mediator doesnt offer that service. I dont want to fill out the divorce forms because all of our terms are outlined in our agreement.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
I understand your desire to "short circuit" the standard approach, file your settlement agreement and get a judgment. Unfortunately, there's no way to do that. You must follow the same steps that you would have filed had you never filled out any forms in the first place. The only difference, of course, is that you have already settled your case. Here is a link to the NY State Uncontested Divorce Booklet. Just follow the steps. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
I see that you opened a second Q&A session with a follow-up question. I closed that question so that you are not charged twice. There is no way to avoid going through the filling process. You cannot simply file a marital settlement agreement and get a judgment. I realize that you may believe differently, however, I believe that you will discover, after continuing to research the issue, that your only alternative is to follow the required steps and file the settlement agreement as described in the booklet that I provided. Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Related Family Law Questions