How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41558
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to find out if my Father had a will. My brother

Customer Question

I am trying to find out if my Father had a will. My brother will not have anything to do with us.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: He passed 5-11-1998 in San Bernardino County, Calif.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: I have a brother and step sister that didn't even tell me that he passed. We were sending him money as requested by him to help with his cancer meds. I didn't even know that he died until I saw it in the paper
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help .Give me minute to get your answer, thanks.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Here is where you would check to see if a will has been filed and probate opened. Superior Court of CaliforniaCounty of San BernardinoSan Bernardino District – Probate Division247 West Third StreetSan Bernardino, CA###-##-####honeProbate Information(###) ###-####robate Fax(###) ###-####oursMonday – Friday8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
If you cannot find a will here or probate you can file yourself assuming he had no will.If there is a will they then have to file it, otherwise you are an heir under laws of intestacy( no will) and may be appointed the Personal Representative for your father's estate. DE-111 Instructions and self help. If you cannot locate a will or probate case you may decide to file yourself and seek to be named the Personal Representative here. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Sorry for the loss of your father.

Related Family Law Questions