How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116701
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my children taken away . I had been very ill.

Customer Question

I had my children taken away for neglect. I had been very ill. My 14 yr old soon to be 16 at first wanted to be united. The 12 yr old always has until the last month. This will be a relative adoption by my sister whom CPS refused to place them their because the girls did not want to go there. CPS refused to seperate them. Their goal from the beginning was to terminate my rights. They told the girls they could not live with me because of my adjudicated probation. As the adoption becomes closer the younger one becomes more upset. Is there anything I can do? We had mediation and I was forced to sign my rights away or go thru a high profile trial that would have hurt my children and al 90% chance that he would terminate my rights and I'd have no chance of seeing them. My court atny did nothing to help me Do I have a recourse. I didn't even have 24 hours to think about what they wanted me to sign. I was so distraught that I never would have agreed to other things in the mediAtion.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your attorney coerced you to sign the termination of parental rights, your only recourse here is to file a motion to void the termination you signed arguing your attorney improperly coerced you to sign and did not explain the consequences. This is going to mean you are going to need a new attorney to argue your prior attorney acted improperly. Your attorney would also have to put the other family members on the stand to object to the adoption. Your new attorney has to convince the judge you were improperly forced to sign the termination of rights and then object to the adoption. If you cannot show evidence the social workers lied and that your attorney improperly forced you to sign the termination though, I am afraid that the termination would stand and in that event I am afraid there would be nothing more you could do other than have the family members file their own objection to the adoption and seek to stop the adoption by this one relative and try to get some other relative to adopt who would be better for the children.