How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42227
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband packed up our apartment and took my 5 month old

Customer Question

My husband packed up our apartment and took my 5 month old daughter to live with his parents 3 hours away. He did this without my knowledge while I was at work. He is refusing to let me see her stating that, "...It would be beneficial to keep her with me because I do have a larger network to work with (support wise)..." My question is, What can I do legally to get my daughter back? I believe that if I showed up at the gated residence his mother would accuse me of trespassing. I have not been in touch with a lawyer about divorce or custody as it is the weekend.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. I would first call the Child Abuse Hotline here.They will check on the child and may help you on this issue.It doesn't cost anything and they will at the least verify the child is ok. It is important here that you file for divorce on Monday when you locate a lawyer where you are residing.This means he has to bring the child back and a local judge hears this.It is important because you don't want to be fighting this battle on their turf.Also visitation would be scheduled locally and you would not have the transportation issues here. Whoever files first controls all of this. To have done this to you is not right.But long term you will force them to bring back the child and likely you get custody of the child.Please don't panic you can get a lawyer next week and seek child support and spousal support here as well.A good lawyer gets the child back and you custody here where you are at. You can locate a lawyer locally here through our state bar.You get 39 minutes for $20 to go over fees, and your case and meet the lawyer.This is an excellent way to get started.Please don't panic here, it will work out in the end.I can only imagine how overwhelming this must all be.But the mother gets legal custody in most cases in Texas these days still so you have a lot of advantages here to keep the child in court.The fact he has a network two hours away is not going to help here if you file locally. Report this here see if TRFPS will check on the child and facilitate visitation. Report AbuseBy Phone: 1-***-***-****Online: Texas Abuse HotlineExternal LinkCall our Abuse Hotline toll-free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, nationwide, or report with our secure website and get a response within 24 hours. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and I wish you the best.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
If you have an appointment scheduled on Monday keep it and see if you need further referral, you can talk to more than one lawyer here . Thanks again. If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Let me know here if you have more follow up, it is never a problem.