How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in prison once many years ago years. I am in

Customer Question

I was in prison once many years ago for three years. I am in the process of an uncontested divorce, and I have two kids, 5 and 3 years old. My wife does not let me spend weekend with my kids, unless it is at our house. The problem is I am in another relationship. I spend the entire saturday and sunday with my kids at my old house with my ex. I already live with another lady though. I am afraid if I push my wife buttons, she is not going to let me se my kids at all, or hire a lawyer so she can have full cutody, and they give it to her since I am a felon. I do not want to have to see my kids with an officer or a counselor present. I want to be able to enjoy my kids freely. Plus, I do not want my kids to go through that. I am a successful business man now; I am an RN and also a physical therapist, but I am afraid my mistakes from the past take me away from my kids. Please help me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.Just because you have a felony conviction, that does not necessarily mean you will lose custody of your children if you have a contested hearing. What were you convicted of, and how long ago was it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over 20 years ago. Fraud
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
OK. I can only speak from my experience, but I really don't think that will have a large impact, if any at all, on the judge's decision when it comes to your custody now. Judges have to look at what's in the best interest of the child, and there is a strong presumption that having both parents involved in a child's life is beneficial to the child. If you had been convicted of a sexual crime against children, or a recent violent crime, I could see there being an impact, but a 20 year old fraud conviction won't have much of an impact. If you are a good parent now, I think you could safely assume you will get a standard custody agreement, with no impact from your case 20 years ago.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any question? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go (that's how I get credit for my work).