originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

My son has a daughter who is 19 years old and was never married

Customer Question

My son has a daughter who is 19 years old and was never married to her mother. A court order for support was issued 19 years ago, which my son began paying but stopped. When his daughter was 3 years old, he gave up his paternal his rights. For the past 10 years, he started paying support again as ordered by the court because the child's mother said she was going to have the order enforced. Is he still liable for the child support since he gave up paternal rights. This took place in Delaware County, PA. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.
Usually, if a parent's rights have been legally terminated, the obligation to pay support is also terminated, because paying child support and having parental rights/duties go hand in hand. So, if his rights were terminated by a court order, he shouldn't still be paying support. He should have a lawyer review his termination paperwork and make sure that the obligation to pay support wasn't somehow carried over.