How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1375
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

So now the state says I am over $7000 behind in child support

Customer Question

So now the state says I am over $7000 behind in child support
to start when our oldest graduated and moved out I thought the support would go down well I guessed wrong and went back to court and got that settled then time went by and I guess there was still (what they call unpaid) an amount which was gaining interest well then back to court and had another amount set for me to pay and guess what now I am being told that the settlement on JAN 6 2015 did not include the past amount and I am being charged more interest
Let it be known that I have helped our to boys with what ever they need (2 vehicles)
She was getting support for two even after the oldest moved out
Its funny the states wants all my finances but what has she done with her money oh yea she moved into a house mommy and daddy owned after the divorce so I can bet rent was cheap
Well now the states after me and if they do what they say they can do I am done will lose everything that's my business (in which one of our sons work with me) and drivers license and then what kind of income will I have
Just asking
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Oh, keep in mind that at the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Thanks! Are you being asked for support by the child support collection unit? Even though I'm an attorney, I worked for a CSCU in another state so I know how they work. Or, are you back in court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to get a deer hunting permit and was denied call the number and was the state child support office and stated I am still 7000 behind and drawing interest after I was in court in Jan 15 to come up with a payment to settle but some how I was not told that the delinquent balance was added
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks for that.Yes, in the state I'm in, which is not where I'm licensed, they have moose hunting permits and you can't get a permit if you owe money for child support. However, if you make an arrangement, they will allow you to keep your license and get permits if you keep paying per the agreement you make. Yes, they charge interest on back support or arrears. Most states will allow an agreement and if you pay in good faith they will not go after licenses, permits or anything else.I know it seems unfair because it seems like she doesn't need it, and the kids moved out, and all these other things, I know I get it. The problem is, it's like this in just about every state now. They tack on interest, they threaten to pull your license and they'll do it, they'll even hit your bank account. So the best thing for you to do is to see if you can make an agreement with the child support enforcement unit in your state which is the Child Support Services in Ill. in the county where you are or the county that you're dealing with. I don't know why they don't tell you about interest but it's there and it keeps accruing, so that's why your balance keeps going up. If you make an agreement with them, make an agreement that you can keep. Don't make one that is beyond your means. Make sure you're able to pay it weekly or monthly or however you work it out with them. Our state was happy to have an agreement with people and even if they were only paying a few hundred a month, it was better than nothing and they got to keep their licenses. If you're working, figure out what you can pay and then work out an arrangement with them. Do you understand this and does this help you?
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
The fact that you paid for two vehicles is not going to count. I know you think it should but the state doesn't see it that way. They want the money for the child support to come in and they don't care what you bought the kids. People in this state go directly to the child support office to make an agreement so you may want to do that. Dealing with someone from Child support face-to-face will be better than doing it over the phone in many states.I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Please accept my answer, rate my answer and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Remember to keep sticking to your agreement and you'll be okay. Don't even bother looking at the amount that is owed, just keep paying per your agreement and they probably won't go after you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me know what I already knew I have been making payments as I was explained and then find out it was not right , now the amount is crazy and who cares just pay it thanks
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you're upset and I can understand that. I am trying to help you.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Each state takes their child support situation very seriously.I am giving you the benefit of my experience as someone who worked in a child support collection unit. You wouldn't believe the amount of money I've seen. People have owed over 100,000 dollars and were paying out $150 a month but it was enough to stop any actions from being taken.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Is it exorbitant? Yes. Does it seem unfair? Yes. I understand that. I don't know why you weren't told that interest would be tacked on but every state does that. I know it's not the answer you wanted to hear and I know you're upset, and I don't blame you. I'm just trying to tell you how you can keep your licenses and permits and I am seriously trying to help you. I am spending time with you to make sure you understand how this process works and what you need to get around it.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
I wish you the best of luck. I have only tried to help you here and I know it's not what you want to hear but I work hard to give a thorough and honest answer and to help people, like you, out of a tough situation. Best of luck to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I have figured out that the state of Illinois does not care for any situation the ex husband will pay no matter what and only if we can get laws changed eaiser than tacking on hidden charges so I can try again but not real happy again thanks for your time
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. I know it personally too. My husband had to pay child support for many years so we had to give up money every month even though she didn't need it. The state figures that it's for the kids. I agree, laws need to be changed, and taking licenses is not the way to go. This is why I quit. I work to help people, not to hurt them. I just couldn't do it. This is why I'm trying to help you. I have been helping people my whole life as an attorney. When I had to pull licenses, I couldn't live with it. So I quit. I'm still practicing law though and trying to help people like you.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
I have to go but I hope you will rate me fairly. I appreciate it.

Related Family Law Questions