How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33424
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is the foster mom to a four-year-old and trying

Customer Question

My daughter is the foster mom to a four-year-old and trying to adopt him. Last Friday when Children's Division found out she planned to appeal their decision regarding his placement with another family, she was issued a court order that same day. At the time she asked for a copy of the court order and was told she could not have it because she was no longer party to the case. I have since talked to people who work for Children's Division who have said that of course she can have a copy, she just needs to go to the juvenile division of the courthouse and request it. So she and her husband did that today only to be refused again, saying they are no longer parties to the case. If her name is ***** ***** court order, can she legally be denied the right to a copy of it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Please be patient when waiting for a response. I may be looking something up, typing the response, or busy with something else and sometimes it takes a while to respond. Yes, my suspicion is that the court sealed the file, which isn't unusual in these types of cases. If the court did that and didn't specifically exclude the parties from the "seal" then anyone, including the parties, would need to get permission from the court to get a copy of any of it. All she would need to do is get her lawyer to draft an order for the judge to sign which allows her access to the file or orders the clerk to provide a copy of whatever she wants to her.