How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have custody of my daughter, she sees her father every other

Customer Question

I have custody of my daughter, she sees her father every other weekend & every Thursday through Monday. He has been trying to convince her to live with him so he doesn't have to pay child support (he is currently 27k behind) & telling her when she turns 12 that she has to tell the judge where she wants to live (she lives with me) she has been resenting her father tremendously, doesn't want to see him, talk to him. I have her seeing a counselor every week to help her with what she's going through and to be able to voice how she feels to him. He is always drilling withave questions, making her feel bad, it's just not healthy for her at all, he's unstable, always moving, currently living in a garage at his father's where they share a bed. What can I do to provide a quicker solution for her where a change of modification doesn't drag out for months??? I'm sick of seeing her miserable. She will be 12 in August and she is more than willing to tell a judge of the pressure and uncomfort she gets from her father.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If not a faster custody modification, what more can I do??
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. Who is planning to file a motion for Modification of Custody---you or your ex?2. You mention providing a quicker solution for her---what solution are you referring to?Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would be the one filing the motion to modify since that's all I really know what to do.Faster solution as in, she doesn't want to go to her father's as often and with Summer time coming up, we do the week on, week off. She doesn't want to do this at all. He's verbally abusive to her and threatens her. I just can't see this path continuing to be healthy for her.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
What is your legal basis for modifying custody? What do you plan to submit to the court in support of your motion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The counselor she sees, suggest that I do something immediately so isn't being sent against her will. He isn't stable and cannot provide her, her own bed. I guess I'm not sure what I need to do to help her.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Given the complexity of your situation I would really prefer to discuss all of this over the phone with you. I think that you will get a lot more from a conversation that what can be provided in writing back and forth. Please do consider the phone call I offered. Did the counselor suggest what you should do? My concern is that its all well and good to tell someone to do something---but a modification is not automatic just because you ask for it. Doug