How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102320
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my wife are getting divorced. It was mutual and

Customer Question

me and my wife are getting divorced. It was mutual and she filed the petition. I signed and it was uncontested. We waited for the 60 day waiting period (required in Texas) and now she for some reason does not want to sign (finalize) it. Is there a way to finalize it?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Yes. Someone in your situation may wish to contact the Court and then ask if a TRIAL DATE has been set. Some Courts set trial dates automatically by issuing a SCHEDULING ORDER. Some ask the parties to do so. If it has only been 60 days, a Scheduling Order (if the Court does this) has likely not even been issued, but likely would be soon. If the Court does not issue a Scheduling Order, someone in your situation would have to file a Motion to Set Trial Date down the line. If a Scheduling Order exists/will be sent, then one simply shows up on the trial date for when the Scheduling Order sets it (touching base with the clerk/coordinator of the court may be necessary as the court often switches those dates around later). Or one gets a trial date by filing the aforementioned motion. The Court may grand a divorce at trial even if she has not signed off on the proposed decree. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!