How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33783
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Colorado, my Daughters Mother lives in Wyoming. Up

Customer Question

I live in Colorado, my Daughters Mother lives in Wyoming. Up until yesterday I was commuting between Cheyenne and Denver for work. I have the baby with me now in Denver. We weren't married and have no custody arrangement. I would like to know when I legally need to bring her back to her mother. And when should I legally be able to pick her up again
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Do you have an order from a judge which sets forth custody, visitation, support, etc?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Not an "arrangement" between you, but an actual order from a judge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we have nothing filed with any court
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Generally, without an order then there is no requirement that you bring the child back at a certain time, pick her up at a certain time, etc. That is because both parents have an equal right to the child.The problem arises if you, the father, have not been found to be the father by a court yet. In some cases like that then if the mother gets mad and goes to a local judge they will take her side and say that until such time as you are found to be the father by a court, you actually have no rights to the child. Other judges take a different approach. So, essentially, you and she have equal rights to the child at this time, and you aren't required to have the child back to her at any particular schedule.