How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Being acused of doctor shopping and cut of high doses of oxycontin

Customer Question

Being acused of doctor shopping and cut of high doses of oxycontin and durogesic patches with no warning when i have proof i am not and my doctor is telling every local doctor not to deal with me i can not get any medication live in a small town so i am in alot of pain and withdrawing after years of being on the medication with no issues
JA: The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No i have tried to see a few doctors today to get help and they have been told not to help me from this doctor i have a letter she faxed to one of the doctors saying im a doctor shopper the doctor gave me it because she belives what she is doing is wrong and has to cut me down on medication not just cut me off after years of being on them
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Family Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Family Lawyer should know?
Customer: I have a report from my chiropractor saying i have bone degeneration crushed disks and nerves also a report from a pain specialist and my past 2 years of medication list off the chemist saying i have only delt with the doctor i am seeing no one else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the government is strengthening the control over people who are obtaining controlled substances. It is unlawful to obtain the same or similar prescription from multiple doctors and it is unlawful to go to a doctor other than your own for controlled substances. When patients become identified by a doctor as "controlled substance seekers" this goes in their records and most doctors will refuse to deal with such patients.
Unfortunately this hurts many chronic severe pain sufferers. However, your recourse at this point it is malpractice to cut off someone who has become addicted to controlled substances off cold turkey. So you could have a malpractice suit against your doctor for cutting you off and not slowly weening you off.
Secondly, you need to go to a clinic that specializes in controlled substance addictions for chronic pain patients, because they are going to need to detoxify you from what you are on carefully and then come up with alternatives to help your pain.
Those are your two legal options here so you can continue on to try to be as pain free as possible.

Related Family Law Questions