How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Singapore, am a US Citizen, but not eligible to file

Customer Question

I live in Singapore, am a US Citizen, but not eligible to file for divorce until 2017. Im looking for a state with short residency requirement to file divorce in the US.
JA: OK. The Family Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Only in Singapore
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: What information do you require?
JA: Is there anything else the Family Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have 2 children age 8 and 11. We have lived in Singapore since July 2014. My husband is a British citizen. Children are US citizens. There is an ongoing application for care and control and maintenance in Singapore.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Do you both want to divorce? Do you have an agreement as to custody and support?