How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33928
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If we pay child support until the child reaches age of 25 years,

Customer Question

If we pay child support until the child reaches age of 25 years, graduates from college or a professional trade school or until further order of court, whichever occurs first, and he turned 25 in January, the court is Riverside County, do we need to get an attorney to stop this IWO that comes out of the paycheck, or can we stop it online in some way? Thank you. Employer says we must have something from the court.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Some child support orders have language in them that automatically stops the child support on a certain date. if yours doesn't have that language then you have to file a motion with the court and, absent an agreement, have a hearing on the matter. It's important to hire the lawyer ASAP since they can likely get the court to put a temporary stop on the payment or at least get the court to order the payment deposited into the registry of the court and not sent on to the other parent until you get the final order in place. So long as the order is in place then you have to keep making the payments although the court can make the child support stoppage retroactive to the time the motion was filed, bu no further.